Stress Less for Better Skin - Why & How
Image via Pinterest
Stress and unhappy skin are inextricably linked. The domino effect of too much stress is out of balance hormones, which then adversely impacts your health and ultimately shows up externally on your body's largest organ - the skin! If increased wellbeing and an inside out glow are what you're after, then understanding the impact of stress on your hormones and making stress relieving rituals a part of your daily lifestyle is key.
Why does stress affect your skin?
As humans, we are designed to handle smaller amounts of stress, however the modern lifestyle often triggers far more than is healthy. So what exactly is going on inside your body? With a rise in stress levels comes a diversion of our body’s resources away from producing healthy reproductive hormones along with repair and restoration to a fight or flight response. Stress hormones literally eat up vital resources and minerals including amino acids, B vitamins and magnesium which are needed for “beautifying” and hormone building activities in the body. They also divert vital blood supply to our organs and muscles away from our skin which can affect the amount of healthy oxygenated blood that is pumped to our skin cells.
How to reduce stress to boost your beauty & wellbeing:
If you want to avoid the stress cycle and its damaging impact on your inside out beauty and health, then prioritising practices that minimise, prevent and relief stress is key. This doesn't have to be complicated. It's actually quite simple and comes down to finding a few activities that work for you and making sure you take time to do at least one each day.
Image via Pinterest
Some of our favourite ways to “de-stress” and pamper your hormones back into balance include:
1. Essential oils – essential oils have a wonderful way of calming and grounding us. Whether you enjoy burning them, rubbing onto your skin or popping a few drops into your bath, there is an essential oil that will work for you. My favourites include clary sage, lavender, blue lotus and rose geranium which have the ability to promote calm and balance.
2. Meditating – this need not be conventional cross-legged sitting exercise, it can be anything from a solo walk to painting, spending time immersed in nature, or simply focusing on the breath and being present for 10 minutes. These activities have the benefit of flushing the body with oxygen and calming neurotransmitters to restore hormone balance.
3. Skin pamper session - A good at home beauty session is a wonderful form of self love which will leave you glowing inside and out. Treating yourself to some TLC with beauty rituals such as a mini facial. We love performing a facial massage using our ultra-nourishing & Snowflower Illuminating Facial Oil to help release tension. Finish off with & Sleeping Beauty Purifying Mousse or Bloom of Youth Sheet Mask.
4. Practise mindfulness - Mindfulness is a powerful tool for maintaining a positive and stress-free mood. What exactly does it mean? According to dictionary definition, it it’s a mental state we achieve by focusing on the present, but while also being aware of our own feelings, thoughts and appreciating how our body feels too. There are plenty of ways to bring mindfulness into your day, such as enjoying your meals without distraction and noticing all the textures and flavours. You may feel inspired by one of these 6 ways to be mindful without meditation.
5. Exercise - Getting the blood and oxygen flowing around your body and the endorphins flowing is a wonderful and quick way to relieve stress. The key is to find a form of exercise that you love, whether that be yoga, HIIT training, swimming, dancing or anything else that helps you break a sweat and clear your mind.
6. Tea time - In cultures all around the world, enjoying tea is a relaxing ritual. Enjoy the simple luxury of making yourself a pot of a relaxing herbal blend, such as our No.3 Sleeping Beauty Tea, a soothing tisane containing Oat Seed, Lemon Verbena and Chamomile flower blossoms to sooth and calm your mind. Savour every sip!