6 Ways to Protect Your Skin from the Cold (and Snow!)
Winter can be a cosy time, with pause for self-care and reflection, plus plenty of piping hot cups of your favourite Beauty Tea, not to mention the perfect excuse for weekend sleep-ins. It's important to embrace the cooler months of the year and revel in the positives, however the thick of winter can definitely play havoc with your skin.
If you’re going to be out and about in frosty temperatures and powerful winds, make sure your skin is protected. Even though the sun may not feel as hot as summer, winter weather conditions can be equally damaging to the skin. If the sun is shining on a cool winter's day, then skin needs even more protection from it, as chilly winds combined with high UV are a recipe for premature ageing.
Yes, the cool months mean giving your skin a little extra TLC. Here are our Edible Beauty inside out tips on how to manage your skin and survive the winter.
1. Never skip SPF
Whatever month of the year, remember you’re still at risk of the dangers of the sun. Even on a cloudy day, those UV rays penetrate through so don’t be tempted to skip sunscreen when the sun is hiding! If you’re a skier, remember the UV light is very intense when skiing because you’re at a high altitude in the mountains. This means there’s less atmosphere so UV rays aren’t filtered as easily as when you’re on the ground. In fact, skiers expose themselves to as much as double UV when on the slopes.
In winter, it's important to still apply a natural, SPF50 sunscreen each day as part of your routine, such as our Basking Beauty Natural Sunscreen. People get confused at how to apply it so we suggest starting with our No.3 Exotic Goddess Ageless Serum first, on clean skin. This botanical serum contains a potent blend of anti-oxidant ingredients that naturally protect the skin from drying winter conditions. It also contains Hyaluronic acid and Beta Glucan which help to keen the skin nice and smooth. Then, use the No.4 Vanilla Silk Hydrating Lotion or the No.4+ tinted variety with SPF15 which contain Cocoa and Shea Butter. The lotion glides on gently, giving the skin a good level of moisture so it stays well-hydrated during the day. It also contains Australian Rosella Extract, a source of natural AHA’s to help the skin turnover its cells and reveal a fresh, youthful complexion. Once you’ve used a serum and moisturiser, then you can apply sunscreen.
2. Up your hydration game!
Your skin dehydrates fast in cold, windy weather. Dehydrated skin looks dry, parched and shows up fine lines and wrinkles. A skin crying out for moisture will also age faster than a well-hydrated complexion. We recommend drinking at least 2 litres of water a day. Not only does it flush out toxins and impurities to reveal a clearer looking complexion, it also works hard to plump skin from within. If you drink 2 litres of water a day every day for a month, you will definitely see a noticeable improvement in the plumpness of your skin. You’ll also notice that it’s clearer, with less breakouts and blemishes than before. Fancy something a little more exciting? Try a warming cup of one of our Beauty Teas, which are delicious served up on a cold winter's day.
Quick Fix: Sometimes it happens - you simply don't get enough water in or your skin gets super dehydrated from the wind. When you need to boost your complexion in a flash, our Bloom of Youth Infusion Sheet Masks will come to your rescue! Bamboo Extract, Ribose, Swertia Chirata and Hyaluronic Acid to infuse the skin for maximum skin cell renewal and anti-ageing action, plumping up your complexion with a noticeable difference in just 20 minutes.
3. Deeply nourish the skin
In the cold weather, take time to really give your skin a moisturising treat. Nothing beats & Coco Bliss Intensive Repair which doubles up as a mask Hydrating, calming and nourishing, it replenishes lost moisture and helps cell renewal, ultimately boosting collagen production. It's rich in vitamin E, which is excellent for repairing broken capillaries - when it’s very windy, the skin can often experience capillary problems and these show up as red marks on the surface of the skin.
Adding a face oil into your skincare arsenal can also be a lifesaver in the wintertime. Our & Snowflower Illuminating Face Oil contains a cocktail or rejuvenating and collagen boosting botanicals, whilst also being highly absorptive, so it won't leave your skin greasy but deeply hydrated, soft and glowing.
4. Prioritise beauty sleep
When you sleep, your skin repairs itself, so aim to get 7-8 hours a night. In cold temperatures, give your skin an extra hand with the & Sleeping Beauty Purifying Mousse, which is an oil-balancing and hydrating night mask. Pink Clay and Zeolite work to purify congested pores, Avocado Oil balances sebum production and hormonal breakouts, whilst Aloe Vera soothes redness. Simply pop it on before you hit the sack and wake up with beautiful looking skin that glows with good health.
5. Take extra care with your eye area
Pay attention to the eye area, as the skin here is thin and delicate, making it prone to drying out in cold weather conditions. This leads to your peepers appearing dull and increases the likelihood of fine lines and crows feet. Our & Gold Rush Eye Balm, containing prized beauty ingredient pure 24k gold leaf, comes in handy when the eye area needs to be refreshed and rejuvenated, unleashing a wave of brightening, de-puffing and moisture-locking actions. We also love using our & Exotic Seed of Youth Oil on the eye area for intense hydration and anti-ageing.
6. Going to the snow?
A generous white dusting of snow definitely conjures up images of picture postcards and hitting the slopes is a much-loved winter activity for many. If you're off to the snow, these tips will help keep your complexion and skin out of harm's way:
- Always protect the areas of your skin that are exposed so this applies to your face, your eyes and other areas of skin that you might uncover (hands are often forgotten).
- Wear a moisturiser that contains SPF followed by your broad spectrum sunscreen.
- Choose skincare products that are rich in antioxidants. Antioxidants are the skin’s armour against free radicals. Free radicals are what attack the skin and the sun is one of the biggest attackers. You need skincare rich in vitamin C and Vitamin E, both of these are cell-building and stop the sun from breaking down skin. When skin lacks Vitamin C and Vitamin E, collagen stores deplete, those vitamins help to bolster collagen levels and encourage new collagen stores.
- Wear a hat that covers your ears... they often get forgotten about!
- Wear gloves.
- Use a sunscreen that’s at least SPF 30+ (over your moisturiser) and choose one that is water-resistant especially if you’re planning a snow fight!
- Apply your sunscreen approximately 20 minutes or more before exposure to the sun.
- Remember to religiously re-apply sunscreen every couple of hours if you’re out for a long while.
- Pack your sunscreen in a smaller reusable container that's easy to carry around with you.
- Use sunscreen on your lips and a moisturising lip oil under it, such as our Green Goddess Lip Oil, as lips often dry out in the snow.
- Your eyes need protective 100% UV protection sunglasses and if you’re a skier, choose a pair that wrap around your face.
- Stay hydrated – skin protection isn’t just about sunscreen. Skin needs water so it doesn’t dry out and mountain air is very drying.
Leave a comment