Fudgy Sweet Potato Brownies Recipe
Image: Ascension Kitchen
It is always incredibly exciting to find a recipe that is not only a guilt-free treat but is also highly nutritious one and gives our skin and taste buds a boost simultaneously. These healthy vegan brownies we have created use sweet potato and nut butter as their primary ingredients. Sweet potato is an often forgotten super food for the skin. It is rich in fibre, which helps to slow down blood sugar and insulin spikes (often linked to over active sebaceous gland) and is also jam packed with vitamin C which helps to boost collagen production along with beta carotene and vitamin A, both important antioxidants in fighting the signs of ageing and protecting the skin against free radical damage, in particular from sun exposure.
These brownies have a gooey and fudgy texture which will leave you coming back for an extra serve or two!
Makes: 12 brownies
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 cup organic peanut butter, smooth or almond butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 1/2 cup 70%+ dark chocolate chips + 3 tablespoons
- 1 vanilla bean scraped
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- 2/3 cup of walnuts or pecans
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Optional: sprinkle of dried rose petals or our & Rose Puerrh Beauty Tea to garnish
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Line a 25 cm square tin with parchment paper.
- To make sweet potato puree, peel sweet potato and cut into large chunks. Place in saucepan of boiling water and boil until easily pierced (about 15 minutes). Blend with water until smooth. Allow to cool.
- Place nut butter in saucepan and gently heat until it becomes easy to stir.
- In a glass bowl, add nut butter to sweet potato and vanilla bean extract Whisk by hand until smooth.
- In a separate bowl add all dry ingredients and stir well. Ensure you sieve the cacao and flour and incorporate the baking powder throughout the dry mix.
- Add dry ingredients into wet sweet potato mix and mix well.
- Spoon batter into prepared baking tin. Smooth evenly using flat part of knife.
- Place in oven and bake for 25 minutes in center rack of oven.
- Sprinkle brownies with chocolate chips. The brownies may come out looking wet and gooey but should firm up overnight or if placed in the fridge.
- Optional: before serving, make your brownies extra pretty with a light sprinkle of dried rose petals or rose tea on the top.