Crunchy Kale & Red Cabbage Skin Sensation Salad
This is a hearty salad which is very easy to prepare and combines several liver-loving and skin-loving ingredients. I am not sure about you, but I love my salads with a bit of crunch which this salad is not short on! The texture of the salad with the kale, carrot and walnuts makes it a delight to eat.
Refer to our Inside Out Beauty E-Book for more delicious skin loving recipes and more information on our 30 Day Beauty Challenge.
Inside Out Beauty Benefits
- Kale is an extraordinary vegetable and among the most nutrient dense of all foods. It is an abundant source of calcium, lutein, iron, and Vitamins A, C, and K. Kale has seven times the beta-carotene of broccoli and ten times more lutein.
- Red Cabbage is rich in skin loving phytochemicals, fibre and beta carotene which gives it its red hue. Studies have shown that eating foods from the cruciferous family such as cabbage, and kale speeds the liver’s ability to detoxify ingested toxins.
- Walnuts are one of the most beneficial nuts to eat for the skin as they have a high level of Omega 3s relative to Omega 6s. This means they provide more beauty benefits- strengthening the membranes of your skin cells, locking in moisture and nutrients that keep it plump and glowing.
This salad provides you with 3 serves of Detox Essentials, 2 serves of Collagen-Boosting Foods and 2 serves of Essential Fatty Acids if you are participating in our Edible Beauty Inside Out Challenge.
Makes 2 serves
- 1/4 medium red cabbage or ½ small red cabbage -Detox Essential
- 1 bunch kale, de-stemmed - Detox Essential
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1 carrot grated
- 1/4 of a cup of chopped walnuts - Essential Fatty Acid
- 1 clove of fresh garlic -Collagen-Boosting Food
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of flaxseed oil - Essential Fatty Acid
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder - Detox Essential
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup chickpeas, optional - Collagen-Boosting Food
- Finely chop red cabbage. Chiffonade the kale into very thin ribbons. Sprinkle cabbage and kale with salt and one tablespoon of olive oil. Massage well for a few minutes, to soften. The mixture should take on a “cooked”, broken-down appearance. Add carrots and walnuts.
- To make dressing combine all ingredients in blender until creamy. Pour on to salad. Let sit for an hour, stirring once or twice. Add chickpeas at the end if desired. This will keep for two days and should be enough for two meals.
- If you have difficulty finely chopping cabbage pop it into a blender very quickly!
- De-stemming and massaging your kale with a bit of salt makes it more absorbable.
- To boost your nutrient uptake from your nuts, try to soak them in a jar of filtered water with a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar overnight. Discard the water in the morning, rinse the nuts and leave in a glass jar in your fridge.
Leave a comment