Why Layering Your Skincare Is the Most Effective Beauty Routine
When it comes to the order of application of skincare, what we put on our skin and when we do this can make a dramatic difference to the results we receive. The skin is ultimately designed to form a barrier, so knowing the best way to maximise absorption and efficacy is key when it comes to using our beauty products. This also ensures that the parts of your skin requiring more attention are also being given the topical nutrients they need most. Enter the skincare layering technique...
Layering skincare means you can successfully target your skin concerns and focus on your complexion goals, as different products work on different aspects. This is why we believe that layering your skincare is the most effective beauty routine, however, the key lies in layering them correctly! There are a few rules we recommend you follow to get the best results out of your products when you are layering them:
- Go from thin to thick. An easy rule of thumb to follow is to apply your products with the thinnest consistency to thickest, or from liquid to oil. This also applies to serums - use serums that have a more fluid consistency first and follow with the serum which has a more gel-like consistency. Use creams last as they are designed to protect the skin and help form a barrier and they also tend to be less abundant in active ingredients which suits their function as a nourishing layer on top of your serums and oils that need to penetrate deepest in order for their botanicals and superfoods to work best.
- Apply active ingredients to clean skin. If you are wanting to have the active ingredients in your oil or serum penetrate deeper then you really want to be using these products on a "clean slate" of skin. This means using antioxidant-rich serums or oils on freshly cleansed skin so the nutrient-rich botanicals can penetrate into the deeper layers of the skin. Cleansing before is important as it removes any other residues that may be on the skin such as sweat, pollution, makeup or previously applied skincare which interfere with the absorption of the active ingredients into the lower dermis. Immediately post-cleanse is also ideal because, as mentioned earlier, using them after your thicker lotion also makes it difficult for all their nutrients to absorb into the skin.
- Wait between applications. Whilst we are often rushed when using our skincare products, taking the time for your serums and oils to seep into the skin and absorb well is the key to them absorbing most effectively - especially when layering products. Wait for about 1 minute between your layered skincare applications. If you are really pressed for time, and have a hairdryer handy, giving your face a gentle blow-dry without heat is often a good way to hasten the process, or even simply fanning your face with your hands.
- Targeting is great. If you are wanting your spot treatment to work on one side of your face or on pigmentation, it is a great idea to just use it on that area. For instance, our Turmeric Brightening Serum which is focused on brightening dark spots and pigmentation, is the perfect product to apply specifically to just your areas of pigmentation. Likewise, our Plant Collagen Plumping Serum can be used on the targeted areas where skin is losing firmness and elasticity, such as under the eyes or the jowels.
- Include restorative and repairing ingredients in your layers at night. All Edible Beauty products can be used morning and night as there are no ingredients that promote UV sensitivity. If you do however want to make your skincare work a bit harder as you sleep, be sure to use products such as your Coco Bliss Intensive Repair cream and Plant Collagen Plumping Serum in your evening skincare layers. They will assist the skin in repairing and regenerating whilst you rest.
- Remember your decolletage. You probably already know this but it never hurts to be reminded! This often forgotten area of our bodies is such a beautiful and elegant part of us and can show the signs of ageing as much as or even more than our faces! Apply your skincare layers to your decollegtage as you would your face, following the tips above, to keep it looking as youthful and radiant as possible.
As a general rule, your layering routine would look a little like this: cleanse, tone, serum, oils, lotions and/or creams.
If you are using our Edible Beauty Booster products we recommend you use them in the order indicated below. We also recommend that you use just two boosters at a time as this will allow you to assess how they are working on your skin. Use your boosters in the below order.
Do not be afraid to have fun with your skincare layering. Remember that you may use some skincare products as one of your layers for a period of time until you resolve that specific concern, such as pigmentation, and then you may wish to update your product layering system to focus on another result. We always recommend that you have a regular stepped product protocol as the stong foundation to your skincare regime, for which we recommend our Edible Beauty Core Four, and then build in your bespoke combinations of laying products for a tailored approach. This is the most effective way to achieve your best skin ever.
Revel in your beauty routine and enjoy in the self-care ritual of taking the best care of your skin. It will definitely thank you for it!