Six Warm Weather Skincare Changes That We Swear By
Image via Pinterest
When seasons change and the heat starts to kick in, or you jet off on holiday to escape the cold in a tropical destination, it's important to consider what changes our beauty routine may require. Sun, humidity and more sweat means that our skincare regime requires a few tweaks to ensure we are keeping the fresh, radiant and hydrated glow. Here are six of the warm weather inside-out beauty changes that we swear by for a naturally youthful and clear complexion when the mercury is rising!
1. Soothe & Hydrate Sans Oiliness.
Using a refreshing and ultra-lightweight gel as your daily moisturiser when the temperatures rise is a wonderful warm weather beauty hack. The & Soothing Nectar Hydrating Gel provides a burst of soothing hydration, leaving your skin looking and feeling refreshed, dewy and rejuvenated. This calming emulsion contains a synergy of skin-conditioning and calming botanicals, including Chamomile, Calendula, Cucumber and Aloe Vera, which provide an immediate cooling effect, perfect for use in your skincare routine day and night. Its soothing, calming and anti-microbial botanical actives make it ideal for acne-prone skin, or skin experiencing irritation and/or redness. It can also be used to soothe sunburn!
2. De-Grease. Removing excess build-up of oil and grease at the end of long hot day is essential to ensure that your skin is blemish free and that active ingredients that you use on your skin work most effectively. If you do not already have one, choose a cleanser which contains ingredients that break up grease and oil such as Salicylic Acid. The No.1 Belle Frais Cleansing Milk contains Salicylic Acid (still edible!) along with Wattleseed which refines pores and Strawberry and Apple Extracts which work to brighten and boost the skin.
3. Tone Things Up. Toning the skin is often a forgotten step but is so critical in warm weather. It ensures that the skin is kept bright, firm and hydrated. Avoid alcohol based toners which strip the skin of its natural moisture balance. Instead choose a toner with natural anti-microbial botanicals such as Citrus Essential oils, Calendula and Echinacea along with pore refining botanicals and natural AHAs. Edible Beauty No.2 Citrus Rhapsody Toner Mist makes a wonderful travel mist to hydrate the skin. The fruit rhapsody in this toner (Fig, Apple Extract, Sweet Orange Floral Water and Bilberry) provides ultra-hydrating and brightening action.
4. Bare It. It is tempting (and of benefit) to go “bare” with skincare and makeup during the warmer months of the year. A thick moisturiser or oily foundation can leave the skin feeling greasy and looking dull. A tinted moisturiser on the other hand will hydrate and nourish the skin whilst evening your skin tone and letting your skin breathe. Tinted moisturisers provide the perfect “no-makeup makeup” look and a sun-kissed glow which is effortlessly sexy. The advantage of Edible Beauty No.4+ Tinted Vanilla Silk Hydrating Lotion is that it provides a natural sun protection factor and contains nourishing hydrating ingredients which lock moisture into the skin without making the skin oily. Use a second application of the lotion if you would like additional coverage.
5. Reconsider Your Night Cream. Night creams can often be unnecessary in warmer temperatures. Whilst in the cool weather skin tends to be more prone to dryness, heat can create more of a tendency for skin to be greasy. It is still important to keep up your skin's hydration and provide high levels of antioxidant protection, however this can be achieved with light weight serums and treatment masks. The No.3 Exotic Goddess Ageless Serum provides an abundance of antioxidants and naturally plums and hydrates with Hyaluronic Acid, Beta Glucan, Kadadu Plum and White Tea. Try a sleep mask, such as the & Sleeping Beauty Purifying Mousse with Australian Pink Clay, Zeolite and Avocado Oil twice a week to purify the pores, replenish moisture, reduce redness, balance oil levels and prevent hormonal breakouts.
6. Alkalise & Hydrate! Keeping your skin hydrated on the inside ensure that you have the maximum glow on the outside. Naturally in warm weather we tend to gravitate towards lighter foods which are easier to digest. Be specific about going about 75% alkaline with your diet. This is easy to do and just requires that you fill your plate with an abundance of fruits and veggies which are naturally alkaline. Choose foods which have a high water content such as cucumbers, lettuce, watermelon and stone fruits. Drink chilled herbal teas, such as our Beauty Teas, incorporate superfood packed Wellness Supplements and avoid more than a coffee a day to ensure acid levels are kept in check.