Five of our favourites and the reason why we love them are in the post below
Five of our favourites and the reason why we love them are in the post below
With social events, entertaining and beach visits on our agendas, if there is ever a time that we want to be sparkling with youth and vitality, it's during the festive holiday period. It can be a challenge maintaining our healthy glow as this time of the year is filled with many unavoidable beauty depleting activities! A lack of sleep, poor diet, the stress of word demands, increased alcohol consumption and dehydration can often leave our skin and body feeling a little lack lustre.
Below we provide six inside out beauty tips to keep you sparkling this Christmas season:
Glorious Greens. If you are going a bit overboard with sugar and alcohol, ensure you are balancing this all out by having at least a bowl or two of greens. Greens, in particular bitter greens such as arugula, rocket, radicchio, rocket leaves, dandelion, spinach, chicory and mustard leaves are wonderful liver toners. They also help to increase the creation and flow of bile, the substance that removes waste from the organs and blood. Bitter greens will assist you in digesting your food, in particular fats so munch on a few leaves before your meal, and they will act as a great aperitif. Greens are also rich in folate and B vitamins which are essential for your body’s energy and detoxification pathways which tend to become compromised in the holiday season.
Intermittent Fasting. When eating excessive calories on a daily basis, as tends to happen during the holiday period, our hunger hormones such as ghrelin and leptin, can become imbalanced which reduces our ability to burn fat. Intermittent fasting for one or two days of the week during the holiday season can be a great way to reset your hunger hormones and increase your metabolism even if you are over indulging. Fasting may involve restricting calories on one or two days of the week and eating normally on other days or restricting caloric intake between a certain time e.g. between 12 pm to 8 pm.
Liquid Beauty Boosters. Increasing water intake is something we all know we must do to keep our skin moist and dewy and our body’s detoxification and digestive system intact. Supercharging water with antioxidant rich botanicals makes it work even better for you. During the holiday season iced versions of our Edible Beauty No.2 Fountain of Youth Tea and No.1 Green Goddess Detox Tea are refreshing, hydrating and a treat for the skin and liver. To make iced versions of these blends, just brew them as normal and refrigerate infused with berries, sliced citrus and herbs.
Mask It. Late nights, sugar and alcohol consumption show up in our complexion. Sleeping masks are literally an overnight beauty fix when it comes to dull, red or lack lustre skin. We love using the Edible Beauty & Coco Bliss Intensive Repair Mask to boost the plumpness of the skin, reduce redness and bring back a youthful glow. Apply this all over the face in the evening as a thick layer and do not remove it. You will wake fresh faced and in awe of this miracle mask. The secret ingredients in this mask include B vitamins and Vitamin E which work to repair the skin, reduce inflammation and eliminate redness. If acne or sunburn is affecting your golden glow, use the Edible Beauty Soothe Me Balm as a leave on mask at night. Aloe gel, Cucumber, Calendula and Chamomile in this blend work to calm the skin, balance oil production and heal scarring and sunburn.
Sweat It Out. Whether it be hitting the gym, having an infra-red sauna or sweating it out at the beach, building up a sweat is a wonderful gift for your skin. It allows the skin pores to open which releases the build up inside them. Toxins that can clog pores and plague the skin with pimples and blemishes are purged through the action of sweating. Circulation is also increased to the peripheries and skin cells which boost skin cell turnover. These skin benefits only apply to mild or moderate sweating.
Bright Eyed. Giving your eyes a pick me up is as easy as a providing them with a caffeine hit. Dip cotton pads in iced black coffee or cold Edible Beauty No.6 Puff Away Tea and apply over closed lids for 10 to 20 minutes. Caffeine found in both coffee and our Puff Away Blend acts to constrict blood vessels to diminish discolouration and reduce puffiness.
When it comes to old school skin care advice, one of the classic recommendations is to avoid cleansers containing oil as they are thought to predispose one to more acne, grease and oil build up. Our No. 1 Belle Frais Cleanser provides wonderful evidence against this advice. In this article we provide you with five good reasons why you should start using an oil based cleanser in your beauty routine.
- Impurities are removed. There is a concept of like removing like when it comes to oil removing oil on the skin. The oil found in oil based cleanser does not actually clog pores further – rather it works to lift and remove existing oil on the skin. When the oil found in oil-based cleansers is massaged into the skin, it binds to the surface impurities and allows them to be swept away with the good oil and bad oil being removed along with any dirt and unwanted impurities on the skin.
- Moisture balance is maintained. When we use many oil based cleansers they actually strip much of the precious moisture found on the skin which means that the natural oils within the skin are removed and the body is forced to produced extra oil in order to balance this loss, resulting in – you guessed it – more oil! This is a process of overcompensation by the body to address a loss of its natural moisture balance. By using natural plant based oils to remove impurities we actually provide the skin with the natural oils and hydration that it needs.
- Antibacterial action. Essential oils and the coconut oil most often used in cleansers contain natural antibacterial action. In the case of coconut oil this is mono-lauric acid. This acts to cleanse the skin of microbes and prevent the break out of acne associated with bad bacterial. The beauty of this is that is all done naturally yet therapeutically without the drying effect of chemical antimicrobials.
- It is Edible. Coconut oil, the oil found in our Belle Frias Cleanser, is pure and good enough to put in your mouth which is as we like it! Both in your mouth and on your body it acts an abundant source of fatty acids that are uniquely formed to deeply moisturize, hydrate, and condition the skin. Rich in polyphenols and vitamins A, C and E, coconut oil is a potent anti-ageing nutrient promoting collagen production and deeply penetrating the skin to promote lasting hydration.
- It feels Divine. After using an oil based cleanser the skin feels nourished and nurtured. It is not only silky and fresh but feels hydrated and ultra-loved.
Five Reasons Why You Need a Face Oil
- Glow. Face oils are abundant in antioxidants which have a brightening and illuminating effect. & Snowflower Illuminating Face Oil contains a synergy of oils which infuse the skin with youth and vitality. Specifically it contains Snowflower Seed Oil and Kakadu Plum which are abundant in vitamin C to boost collagen production and brighten the skin. It also contains Emu Apple Seed Oil which has four times the antioxidants of Blueberries.
- Plump & Hydrate. Most moisturisers contain a small amount of oil, but not enough to make a big difference in water loss. Face oils are lipophilic, or fat loving, which means they pass though the lipid layer of the skin faster, preventing water loss and plumping skin with moisture more effectively. Camellia Seed Oil found in & Snowflower Illuminating Face Oil contains over 98% long-chain fatty acids. The unusual chemistry contains more carbon atoms than other edible oils, making it an excellent emollient oil that is intensely moisturising without being greasy. When applied to the skin it forms a moisture barrier to aid the skin in preventing moisture loss.
- Penetrate. If you apply an oil before your serum or anti-ageing moisturiser, the oil molecules behave like carriers, enabling the skin to let active ingredients like hyaluronic acid and vitamin C deeper into the skin layers and closer to the collagen-producing fibroblasts, without irritating the surface.
- Even Skin Tone & Reduce Hyper Pigmentation. Snowflower Seed Oil is one of the key ingredients in assisting in evening skin tone and reducing hyper pigmentation in our face oil. Named after the white, fluffy flowers of the plant, Snowflower Seed Oil reduces pigmentation, sunspots and enhances brightness and illumination of the skin.
- Reduce Acne. Precisely what many of us presume causes acne, actually prevents and treats it. Often the skin cells, when starved of hydration will begin to over produce oil in an effort to combat the moisture imbalance. Using nourishing natural facial oils actually feeds, protects and supports our skin tissue, helping to restore its balance and prevent acne break outs while promoting moisture and hydration
Tips on How to Apply & Snowflower Illuminating Face Oil
- Place four drops of oil on to the palm of one hand then using the finger of your other hand dot some oil onto the four quadrants of your face - your forehead, cheeks and chin prior to moisturising. Gently massage the oil evenly across your face. If your skin is very oil then one drop on the palm of your hand spread across the four areas of your face will be enough for you!
- Face oil is best applied after cleansing and toning and before moisturising. The molecules found in face oil are small which means they penetrate deep into the layers of the skin. Moisturiser molecules tend to be larger which may create a barrier making it difficult for the face oil to be absorbed.
- Applying a hydrating mist such as our No. 2 Citrus Rhapsody Radiance Tonique prior to using your face oil assists the oil to penetrate deeper into the layers of the skin.
- Blend your face oil with your foundation to create an extra dewy glow.
- Dab some face oil onto your cheeks for a cheeky illuminating effect.
- Apply a small amount of face oil to the tips of your hair to add back moisture.
- When flying, apply one to two drops over your moisturiser every hour to provide a protective barrier to prevent moisture loss from the dry cabin air.