With the cold and flu season in full force prevention is often a better option than cure.
The “beauty” of the smoothie recipe below is that it doubles as a skin saving tonic and is perfect for immune boosting beauty action.
We love our coconut oil in our skin care and in our food. One of the things that people do not know about coconut oil is that it can reduce the length of a cold or flu. Having four tablespoons of coconut oil a day is the perfect dose for getting to a cold/flu before it takes affect.
Ginger root is antimicrobial and helps to eliminate congestion. It is also a powerful anti-inflammatory so will not only help with keeping puffiness at bay, it also contains silicon which helps to promote healthy skin.
Most of us know about the anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial actions of turmeric. However, due to turmeric’s antioxidant properties, it has been used for skin rejuvenation for centuries. It can help to soften lines and wrinkles, giving the face a more youthful appearance. It is also effective in assisting the redness associated with rosacea. In fact it is easy to make a turmeric face mask with a variant of the smoothie ingredients below. Take a few tablespoons of coconut milk stir in 1 to 2 tablespoons of turmeric and Manuka honey until you have a firm paste. Apply all over the face and in particular under they eyes as turmeric works wonderfully to reduce under eye circles.
Ginger, cinnamon and orange juice are wonderful additions to this smoothie, boosting the body’s natural defences and keeping immunity in check.
– 1.5 cups of coconut milk
– 2 teaspoons of ginger (raw root ginger)
– 2 teaspoons of turmeric (raw root turmeric)
– juice 1 orange
– Pinch of cinnamon
– 2 tablespoons of manuka honey
– 20 drops of Echinacea extract (optional)
– Option: 1 cup spinach tightly packed or 2 cups loosely packed mixed greens (or any other mild greens)
1. Blend the dry ingredients (turmeric, ginger), juice and coconut milk first for a short time.
2. Blend the greens next for a short time (if using).