As the summer heat starts to kick in, we tend to make changes to our diet, skincare and even our hair style. But we do not often consider what our skincare may require. Summer sun, humidity and more sweat mean that our skincare regime requires a few changes to ensure we are keeping the fresh, radiant and hydrated glow that keeps our skin youthful and vital. Five of the summer skincare changes that we swear by for naturally beautiful summer skin are below.
- De-Grease. Removing excess build-up of oil and grease at the end of long summer days is essential to ensure that your skin is blemish free and that active ingredients that you use on your skin work most effectively. If you do not already have one, choose a cleanser which contains ingredients that break up grease and oil such as Salicylic Acid. The No.1 Belle Frais Cleansing Milk contains Salicylic Acid (still edible!) along with Wattleseed which refines pores and Strawberry and Apple Extracts which work to brighten and boost the skin.
- Tone Things Up. Toning the skin is often a forgotten step but is so critical in summer. It ensures that the skin is kept bright, firm and hydrated. Avoid alcohol based toners which strip the skin of its natural moisture balance. Instead choose a toner with natural anti-microbial botanicals such as Citrus Essential oils, Calendula and Echinacea along with pore refining botanicals and natural AHAs. Edible Beauty No.2 Citrus Rhapsody Tonique makes a wonderful travel mist to hydrate the skin in summer. The fruit rhapsody in this toner (Fig, Apple Extract, Sweet Orange Floral Water and Bilberry) provides ultra-hydrating and brightening action.
- Summer Bare. It is tempting (and of benefit) to go “bare” with skincare and makeup during the summer months. A thick moisturiser or oily foundation can leave the skin feeling greasy and looking dull. A tinted moisturiser on the other hand will hydrate and nourish the skin whilst evening your skin tone and letting your skin breathe. Tinted moisturisers provide the perfect “no-makeup makeup” look and a sun-kissed glow which is effortlessly sexy in summer. The advantage of Edible Beauty No.4+ Tinted Vanilla Silk Hydrating Lotion is that it provides a natural sun protection factor and contains nourishing hydrating ingredients which lock moisture into the skin without making the skin oily. Use a second application of the lotion if you would like additional coverage.
- Ditch Your Night Cream. Night creams can often be unnecessary in summer. Whilst in winter skin tends to be more prone to dryness, summer skin can have more of a tendency to be greasy. I still recommend keeping up your skin's hydration and providing high levels of antioxidant protection, however this can be achieved with light weight serums and treatment masks. The No.3 Exotic Goddess Ageless Serum provides an abundance of antioxidants and naturally plums and hydrates with Hyaluronic Acid, Beta Glucan, Kadadu Plum and White Tea. Use a sleep hydrating mask, such as the & Coco Bliss Intensive Repair cream/mask once or twice a week to replenish, reduce redness and firm the skin and if your skin is prone to acne or oil build up use an aloe gel based moisturiser such as the & Soothe Me Balm to hydrate without creating excess oil build up.
- Alkalise & Hydrate, Hydrate. Keeping your skin hydrated on the inside ensure that you have the maximum glow on the outside. Naturally in summer we tend to gravitate towards lighter foods which are easier to digest. Be specific about going about 75% alkaline with your diet. This is easy to do and just requires that you fill your plate with an abundance of fruits and veggies which are naturally alkaline. Choose foods which have a high water content such as cucumbers, lettuce, watermelon and stone fruits. Drink chilled herbal teas and avoid more than a coffee a day to ensure acid levels are kept in check. For a chart on alkaline foods check out the below link: http://www.alkalinesisters.com/alkaline-food-chart/