One of the things that always amazes me about botanicals is how versatile they are in their therapeutic use. This also applies to herbal tea which can be used to brighten eyes, rejuvenate hair, relax as well as of course tantalising your taste buds.
Below our six favourite beauty “inside & out” applications of tea which you may not be aware of:
- Luscious Locks: EGG found in green tea has in studies been shown to stimulate hair production by promoting the health and boosting the activity of dermal papillae. Green tea is also rich in antioxidants which strengthens and protects the hair from UV damage. Rinse your hair with the cold brew after shampooing or leave the tea on without rinsing to further condition and nourish your hair. Choose Black tea as a rinse to thicken and strengthen hair or if you have dark hair and would like to restore its lustre. Choose Rooibos tea if you have red or light brown hair, either rinse you hair with the tea or use it as a leave in conditioner to promote a red tone. Chamomile tea is our favourite rinse for promoting shine and natural highlights. Our No. 10 Balancing Butterfly Blue tea is a beautiful tea taken internally to boost circulation to the hair helping to nourish and restore it.
- Bright Eyes: Both Chamomile and Black tea work wonders for relieving red irritate eyes. Brew the tea, cool, strain well and infuse a cotton cloth into the herbal tisane. Soak well, remove and apply onto the eye area as a compress for ten to twenty minutes. The tannins in the tea work to reduce itching and inflammation whilst the antimicrobial properties of chamomile assist in combating microbes that may be present in the eyes.
- Puff Away: Cucumbers are traditionally the go-to home remedy for puffy eyes. However Peppermint, Chamomile and Black tea bags work wonderfully to reduce puffy and swollen eyes. Soak the bags for about ten minutes in boiling water, remove, place in the fridge until cool and then place on closed eyelids for 20 minutes. The tannins in the tea work to reduce inflammation, depuff and revive tired eyes. If you wish to always have a natural remedy at your finger tips, brew green or black tea and place in ice cube trays. Place the ice cubes in a thin cloth and on the eyes for an immediate cure to swollen eyes.
- Acne Away: Acne is often associated with an imbalance in hormone production for which liver cleansing teas such as Dandelion Root & St Mary’s Thistle and androgen calming teas such as Licorice and Peony root work effectively to combat the internal turmoil often creating acne. We have the blends ready to go in our No. 1 Green Goddess Detox and No. 4 Golden Glow Tea.
- Sinus Clear: Ginger, Chilli and Yarrow are my favourite herbs for stimulating the sinuses, boosting circulation and combating the common cold. You cannot go past the combination of teas found in No. 9 Tulsi Immune Fire for powerful sinus and fever fighting action.
- Circulation Boost: Poor circulation, cold hands and feet and a slow metabolism need not be something you need to put up with. Seep some grated ginger in hot water or reach for some ginkgo tea or better still our No. 9 Tulsi Immune Fire to get that blood rushing.