Chai tea is personally my favourite tea and works so well to calm the tummy and enhance digestion. The actual word chai refers to the way that a tea has been prepared. Chai dates back to Ayurvedic times (over 5,000 years) and is traditionally boiled on a stove top to allow for the release of the potent aromatics inside the tea blend often with the addition of milk (we now use almond milk) and a sweetener (I used a drop of stevia or coconut nectar).
I have created the No.5 White Chai Digestif Blend as a spin on traditional chai by using white tea as a base which increases the antioxidant component of the blend and adding coconut flakes for a boost in flavour. The power of this tea lies in the myriad and synergy of aromatics inside it including Cinnamon, Ginger, Star Anise, Licorice, Aniseed, Clove, Cardamom, Black Pepper and Fennel. These are all rich in volatile compounds which not only increase your digestive fire, they work to soothe upset stomachs, help to relax the muscles of the gastrointestinal tract to assist in reducing cramps and bloating and control cravings. I encourage drinking chai tea after your lunch and dinner to promote digestion. Three of my favourite tummy calming herbs in the blend include:
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon is considered to be one of the world’s oldest known spices. It aids in digestion by calming the stomach, fighting bacteria, and has anti-nausea and anti-diarrhoea attributes. Cinnamon has also has been shown to increase production of insulin in test tube trials and may assist in balancing blood sugar levels and reducing sweet cravings.
- Fennel: Fennel has also been well known for centuries by the Greeks, Egyptians, and Eastern cultures for its culinary and medicinal uses. It acts as a wonderful digestive aid by dispersing flatulence causing bacteria. In fact, fennel seeds and relief from gas and bloating often go hand in hand, since it has long been used as a carminative herb that assists in reducing, gas, bloating, abdominal pain, indigestion, intestinal disorders, nausea, colic and flatulence. The compound responsible for this benefit is fenchone which helps relax the smooth muscle lining the digestive tract.
- Black pepper: Black pepper is one of the most widely traded spices in the world. It assists digestion at the very start of the digestive tract by increasing hydrochloric acid secretion in the stomach. It also acts as a carminative which assists in expelling gas which is often responsible for bloating and indigestion.
- St Mary’s Thistle and Dandelion Root: Both of these herbs are incredibly powerful when it comes to the health of the liver. They work in three ways- to assist and enhance the function of the liver in flushing accumulated toxins, to repair the liver cells from previous damage done and to protect the liver from future assaults.
- Ginger: Ginger helps to stimulate saliva, bile and gastric juice production to aid in digestion. The phenolic compounds like gingerol are what ultimately provides ginger which is digestive firing ability. It is the perfect digestive aid and has been shown to alleviate oxidative stress within the liver, which ultimately helps to support the liver in its cleansing actions.
- Spearmint: Spearmint is similar to peppermint with regards to its active ingredients and digestion enhancing benefits. The menthol and limonene found in the tea assist in relaxing the stomach muscles which make it effective in treating conditions such as nausea, irritable bowel syndrome, indigestion and diarrhoea.
Our No.7 Slim Me tea contains Pu-erh and white tea which makes the blend not only great for weight loss but a wonderful digestion enhancing tea.
Pu-erh tea is a fermented black tea with strong cleansing properties and an unmistakably earthy and delicious natural flavour. Interestingly in Chinese culture Pu-erh tea is consumed with dim sum meals as it is believed to help with digestion. The micro-organisms that are present in Pu-erh have been shown to increase the healthy bacterial flora in the stomach and intestines, which may assist in digestion and promote a healthy transit time of food through the digestive tract. Pu-erh is also renowned for its ability to cleanse toxins from the body, quicken metabolism, lower cholesterol and aid in weight loss. I recommend drinking two to three cups of Pu-erh daily if you are wanting to experience both the digestive and weight loss benefits of the tea.