We use the term “wildcrafted” frequently when it comes to describing the ingredients in our skincare. Wildcrafted is often used interchangeably with “organic” or “natural”, however the properties of wildcrafted botanicals are rare and these special plant extracts can ramp up the anti-oxidant profile of your skincare regime in a very unique way.
What are wildcrafted ingredients?
Wildcrafted means that a plant has been grown in nature without any human intervention and in their natural habitat. No commercial farming methods have been used in the cultivation of wildcrafted botanicals. Furthermore, they are harvested in an environmentally friendly manner that doesn't affect their source or environment in which they naturally grow. Only the leaves, stems or flowers are normally extracted with the living plant left intact. This method of harvesting means that often wildcrafted ingredients cannot be classified as organic despite being in essence the most organically grown ingredients one can find.
Wildcrafted ingredients differ to organic ingredients which are derived from plants that are grown with the assistance of humans, where the environment is carefully treated with conditions for optimum growth, but without harming the plant or any other aspect of the growing process. It is also a little known fact that certified organic growers are permitted to use certain chemicals up until three months before harvest, at which time they must cease their use. By that time, any substance used on the plants has been absorbed by the whole plant and at minimum, chemical traces may be found. Even so organic growers are not required to claim use of any chemicals. Only wildcrafted plants grown in pristine environments are truly chemical-free.
Why do we love wildcrafted ingredients?
There are several advantages to using wildcrafted ingredients in skincare.
- Supercharged Anti-oxidants. One of the key benefits of wildcrafted ingredients is that they are found growing in some of the most remote and untouched parts of the world. In this case of our skincare range, this is Australia. This means they have a very rare antioxidant profile. Their exposure to near-constant and extremely harsh conditions forces them to develop a highly efficient self‐defence mechanism in order to survive. This defence mechanism is created in the form of an abundant and diverse range of antioxidants which protect the plant but provide us with a power house of unique nutrients which nourish the skin. This means we are provided with incredibly powerful anti-ageing ingredients which protect our skin from external and internal damage whilst also repairing and rejuvenating our skin.
- Therapeutic Efficacy. Wildcrafted botanicals are also considered to be superior to commercially grown organic herbs because when nature produces them in their ideal environment and under ideal natural conditions the plants are able to develop their full medicinal potential. Growth in their natural habitat is also thought to enhance the energetic qualities of wildcrafted plants, activating their therapeutic potential.
- Highest Purity. Lastly, they are truly toxin free. Since they grow in their natural protected environment they are grown organically without the use of pesticides, chemicals or fertilizers.
- Supporting Indigenous Communities. We feel strongly about ensuring that our wildcrafted botanicals are sourced from Australian companies committed to corporate & social responsibility, positive environmental practices, undertaking initiatives to support the development of new primary industry markets & the empowerment of growers & indigenous communities.
Where can you find wildcrafted ingredients
Wildcrafted ingredients can be found in all Edible Beauty skincare products. Our favourite wildcrafted ingredients include Desert Lime, Kakadu Plum, Davidson Plum, Wattleseed and Snowflower Seed. The products which contain the highest level of Wildcrafted Ingredients include our: No.2 Citrus Rhapsody Toner Mist, No.3 Exotic Goddess Ageless Serum, & Snowflower Illuminating Face Oil and & Desert Lime Micro-Exfoliant.
Read our post on our favourite wildcrafted ingredients to find out more!
Photo credit: @gypsea_lust
Long haul flights and aeroplane food are not often synonymous with gorgeous glowing holiday skin. We are here to provide you with ten easy ways to ensure you are glowing when you arrive at your beautiful destination and when you return to reality!
- Keep it Up – Travel is not a good enough reason to stop your basic skincare routine. Ensure you continue to cleanse, tone, apply serum and moisturise when you are on the go. Our & Edible Beauty on the Fly kit provides you with travel friendly skincare products which make this as easy as packing them into your carry-on bag.
- Spray Away – One of the easiest ways to prevent your skin becoming dehydrated and dull is using a hydrating mist. Ensure your mist is alcohol-free (to prevent further drying) and rich in antioxidant-rich fruits and botanicals (try our No. 2 Citrus Rhapsody Toner Mist) to give you immediate radiance. For best results give yourself a spray every two hours. Your skin will be so thankful!
- Plump it Up – Our No.3 Exotic Goddess Ageless Serum is rich in antioxidants and wildcrafted Australian botanicals which work extra hard at protecting your skin from the oxidative damage that cabin air can cause. It has the added benefit of providing instant plumping action, being rich in Beta Glucan and Hyaluronic Acid which attracts 1,000 times its weight in water.
- Miracle Masks – Hydrating Masks provide instant radiance and nourishment, taking away from any lines, redness or irritation that creeps up on the face. Apply a hydrating mask such as & Coco Bliss Intensive Repair as a thick layer on the skin. Leave for 20 minutes and then remove with a washcloth or cotton wool. This mask works wonders at dissolving signs of any wine or chocolate that may have snuck into your holiday diet.
- Stay Hydrated – Hydration is the key to getting to your destination with a glow. Stay away from alcohol, coffee and sugar-laden drinks. Instead opt for pure water. Bring along a lemon or your favourite herbal tea and use these whilst on board for additional hydration. Ensure you maintain your “greens” intake when you’re on the plane. To ensure you get your veggies, bring along some chopped carrots, celery and cucumber sticks – they will stay fresh for at least four to five hours when on the go.
Five Reasons Why You Need a Face Oil
- Glow. Face oils are abundant in antioxidants which have a brightening and illuminating effect. & Snowflower Illuminating Face Oil contains a synergy of oils which infuse the skin with youth and vitality. Specifically it contains Snowflower Seed Oil and Kakadu Plum which are abundant in vitamin C to boost collagen production and brighten the skin. It also contains Emu Apple Seed Oil which has four times the antioxidants of Blueberries.
- Plump & Hydrate. Most moisturisers contain a small amount of oil, but not enough to make a big difference in water loss. Face oils are lipophilic, or fat loving, which means they pass though the lipid layer of the skin faster, preventing water loss and plumping skin with moisture more effectively. Camellia Seed Oil found in & Snowflower Illuminating Face Oil contains over 98% long-chain fatty acids. The unusual chemistry contains more carbon atoms than other edible oils, making it an excellent emollient oil that is intensely moisturising without being greasy. When applied to the skin it forms a moisture barrier to aid the skin in preventing moisture loss.
- Penetrate. If you apply an oil before your serum or anti-ageing moisturiser, the oil molecules behave like carriers, enabling the skin to let active ingredients like hyaluronic acid and vitamin C deeper into the skin layers and closer to the collagen-producing fibroblasts, without irritating the surface.
- Even Skin Tone & Reduce Hyper Pigmentation. Snowflower Seed Oil is one of the key ingredients in assisting in evening skin tone and reducing hyper pigmentation in our face oil. Named after the white, fluffy flowers of the plant, Snowflower Seed Oil reduces pigmentation, sunspots and enhances brightness and illumination of the skin.
- Reduce Acne. Precisely what many of us presume causes acne, actually prevents and treats it. Often the skin cells, when starved of hydration will begin to over produce oil in an effort to combat the moisture imbalance. Using nourishing natural facial oils actually feeds, protects and supports our skin tissue, helping to restore its balance and prevent acne break outs while promoting moisture and hydration
Tips on How to Apply & Snowflower Illuminating Face Oil
- Place four drops of oil on to the palm of one hand then using the finger of your other hand dot some oil onto the four quadrants of your face - your forehead, cheeks and chin prior to moisturising. Gently massage the oil evenly across your face. If your skin is very oil then one drop on the palm of your hand spread across the four areas of your face will be enough for you!
- Face oil is best applied after cleansing and toning and before moisturising. The molecules found in face oil are small which means they penetrate deep into the layers of the skin. Moisturiser molecules tend to be larger which may create a barrier making it difficult for the face oil to be absorbed.
- Applying a hydrating mist such as our No. 2 Citrus Rhapsody Radiance Tonique prior to using your face oil assists the oil to penetrate deeper into the layers of the skin.
- Blend your face oil with your foundation to create an extra dewy glow.
- Dab some face oil onto your cheeks for a cheeky illuminating effect.
- Apply a small amount of face oil to the tips of your hair to add back moisture.
- When flying, apply one to two drops over your moisturiser every hour to provide a protective barrier to prevent moisture loss from the dry cabin air.
Edible Beauty teas make the perfect base for smoothies, adding an incredible depth of flavour and enhancing the nutrition of your favourite liquid delights.
One of the most versatile teas for this purpose is No. 2 Fountain of Youth Tea. This tastes wonderful hot, iced with a squeeze of lime and/or frozen berries or as a base of an ultra antioxidant rich smoothie blend.
The recipe below is simple yet efficiently combines super-charged antioxidant-rich ingredients to create a potent youth and beauty boosting cocktail. The three ingredients which make this smoothie unique include:
- Hibiscus: Hibiscus has been used as a traditional remedy in many Asian, African and Caribbean countries for years. Hibiscus is high antioxidants, which fight cellular damage and support the immune system. The natural chemicals in hibiscus also are known to benefit cardiovascular health, promote digestive and bowel regularity.
- Pineapple & Papaya: This tisane contains the fruit superstars of anti-ageing. Pineapple and Papaya are abundant in natural Alpha-Hydroxy Acids (AHA’s) and regularly feature in many anti-ageing skin formulas. Papaya also contains papain, a natural enzyme that promotes skin renewal and cell turnover to provide an all over glow.
- Maqui Berry: Maqui berry (Aristotelia chilensis) is an intensely purple berry that grows wild throughout parts of southern Chile. Maqui berries contain unusually high levels of anthocyanins (antioxidants) called delphinidins. The delphinidins demonstrate potent anti-inflammatory activity, and a powerful ability to fight against oxidative stress. Studies show this compound is what gives the berries the ability to assist in regulating blood sugar levels, protecting against bowel cancer and assist weight loss. The berries have a wonderful sweet tart flavour described as a combination of blackberries, blueberries, watermelon and acai.
- 1.5 cups of No. 2 Fountain of Youth Tea brewed and cooled
- 0.5 cups of frozen mixed berries
- 0.5 cups of frozen cherries
- 0.5 cups of chopped pineapple (optional)
- 2 teaspoons of Maqui Berry powder
- 1/4 vanilla bean either whole or beans scraped
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until combined. Serve cold garnished with fresh berries and a sprinkle of Maqui berry powder.