If you have been following us for some time you would know that we LOVE Australian wildcrafted extracts and their unique ability to ramp up the antioxidant profile of your skincare routine. Two of the Australian native ingredients which are not widely used but incredibly unique in their skin rejuvenating benefits include Sandalwood Seed and Snowflower Seed.
Why we love wildcrafted Snowflower Seed
Derived from the tea tree species, Snowflower is a unique botanical producing beautiful white fluffy flowers with an abundance of beauty-loving vitamins.
What makes it unique?
Snowflower grows wild in the tropical and subtropical regions of the North Coast and Northern Tablelands of NSW and southern Queensland. The flower contains many active phytonutrients that deliver anti-ageing, anti-inflammatory and skin repairing properties. Traditionally the plant was used by Aboriginal Communities for its antiseptic properties to treat colds, wounds and skin ailments[i]. Snowflower has 100 times more antioxidnats than Vitamin C, and 25 times more than Vitamin E, making it a powerful anti-ageing and complexion enhancing ingredient.
The beauty benefits of Snowflower Seed
Reduces pigmentation. Strong anti-inflammatory actions and an abundance of Vitamin C means the Snowflower Seed works wonders at targeting age spots and pigmentation. Kaempferol, a flavonoid glycoside present in Snowflower Extract also provides depigmentation and anti-inflammatory properties.
Enhances collagen production. The Snowflower is abundant in a specific type of antioxidant called catechins which are 100 times more potent than vitamin C and 25 times more potent than vitamin E. These catechins work to enhance collagen production, improve skin hydration and increase and restore the luminosity of the skin after sun exposure.
Brightens and reduces redness. Vitamin C along with Quercetin, found in the Snowflower Extract, reduces histamine production thereby reducing inflammation, working to brighten the skin, reduce redness and reduce skin sensitivity.
Protects against photo-ageing. Quercetin is a potent antioxidant which neutralises free radicals and reduces some of the damage they cause. Catechins and Kaempferol glycosides also inhibit skin photoaging induced by UV radiation which makes the Snowflower Extract a potent anti-ageing and photo-protective ingredient.
It will leave your skin:
- Firm and supple. An abundance of collagen boosting nutrients enhance skin firmness and elasticity.
- Bright and radiant. High levels of vitamin C and E along with quercetin provide the perfect cocktail of brightening and rejuvenating skin vitamins.
- Ultra hydrated. This native seed provides nourishing and hydrating action, the perfect antidote to dry skin.
You will find the Snowflower Seed in our:
- Snowflower Illuminating Face Oil. This product is for you if you are experiencing dull, dry and lack lustre skin. This formula is 100% organic and contains 100% Australian-derived ingredients including the Snowflower Seed, Emu Apple Seed and Kakadu Plum Seed Oils. This synergy of vitamin C rich botanicals makes this a very potent, brightening and collagen enhancing face oil.
- Precious Sea Hand Saviour. A saviour for hands that are looking weathered and line-filled this product combines brightening Snowflower Seed, Mangosteen and Parsley Seed extracts along with ultra-hydrating shea and cocoa butter. A must have for every hand bag!
- Sleeping Beauty Purifying Mousse.This sleep mask is for you if you are experiencing hormonal breakouts, redness and fine lines. Our pink clay mask is not only purifying and hormone balancing, it is also wonderful for brightening the skin, addressing inflammation and plumping and firming the skin.
Why we love wildcrafted Sandalwood Seed
Not to be confused with the familiar wood derived essential oil, Sandalwood Seeds are found growing in the desert and arid regions of Western Australia. It is well renowned for its fragrant heartwood, but also holds another prized gift – an elixir for the skin entrapped in its seed.
What makes it unique?
Aboriginal culture has played a major part in the uses of Sandalwood Seed oil and its uses today[ii]. The oil we use in our products is produced in a sustainable manner, in cooperation with traditional Aboriginal Communities throughout Western Australia, where the seed is grown.[iii]
Our Sandalwood Seed oil is derived by ‘superficial fluid extraction’. This is where high pressure carbon dioxide is used to breakdown the seed trichomes and dissolve part of the plant allowing for the oils to be extracted[iv].
The Sandalwood tree produces approximately 300g of seed during the winter[v]. This seed is rich in oils containing 28-36.5% of one of the rarest fatty acids found in the world – ximenynic acid. For centuries, Aboriginal people have used the seed kernel as medicine to treat arthritis and applied topically to reduce stiffness, and to heal sores and burns! Traditional Indigenous healers have also used the crushed Sandalwood Seed kernel to rub on the body to provide protection from the harsh Australian Outback.
The beauty benefits of Sandalwood Seed
Enhances blood circulation. Sandalwood seed is rich in the unique Xymenic Acid (over 38%) which has been shown in studies to increase micro- circulation to the skin. This unique blood flow enhancing property provides it with the ability to combat oiliness, boost skin cell regeneration and enhance skin firmness and elasticity, making it a great anti-ageing agent.
Improves hydration. High levels of xymenic acid and Omega-9 fatty acids provide Sandalwood with redness reducing and skin restoring properties making it helpful for sensitive skin and skin prone to redness and rosacea.
Enhances skin firmness and texture. Increased blood flow to the skin means that cells are being provided with the nourishment and oxygen they need to repair, revitalise and reproduce ensuring the skin is kept firm and that elasticity is maintained.
It will leave your skin:
- Radiant and youthful. Enhanced blood flow to the skin results in an enhanced smooth and radiant glow.
- Ultra-nourished. High levels of Omega-s leave the skin ultra-nourished and hydrated without promoting greasiness.
- Balanced. Due to its ability to penetrate the skin deeply and reduce skin inflammation, this oil leaves the skin balanced without promoting oil production.
Our & Exotic Seed of Youth Oil combines Sandalwood Seed, Marula and Sacha Inchi Seed along with Squalane (olive oil derivrd), Kahlaria Melon Seed and Sea Buckthorn to produce an Omega-rich formula with advanced-hydration and anti-ageing properties to leave your skin clear, nourished and youthful.
[i] Palombo, E.A.. (2011). Medicinal plants of Australia melaleuca alternifolia for the production of tea tree oil.
[ii] Wescorp. Sandalwood Seed Oil Australia. Wescorp.com.au
[iii] Down Under Enterprises – Traceable Sustainable Botanicals.
[iv] Waters.com. 2020. Superficial Fluid Extraction (SFE) Systems. Available online at: https://www.waters.com/waters/en_GB/Supercritical-Fluid-Extraction-%28SFE%29-Systems/nav.htm?cid10146521&locale=en_GB#text=waters’%20Supercritical%2Fluid%20Extraction%20(SFE_typical%20gas%20and%liquid%20state.
[v] Down Under Enterprises – Sandalwood Seed Oil https://1074262.app.netsuite.com/core/media/media.nl?id=964617&c=1074262&h=2746fef63c95e9843b17&_xt=.pdf