Face oils are definitely in vogue when it comes to therapeutic skincare. We have definitely come quite far in our understanding of how the skin works, and progressed from the days of stripping the skin of natural oils with retinol and glycolic peels, which tend to make problematic skin more sensitive and prone to breakouts. Face oils are all about nourishing the skin with concentrated extracts which can help to replenish moisture levels in the skin, thus preventing breakouts, supporting healthy collagen production, brightening and even assisting pigmentation. They can be of the most effective products in your skincare arsenal, however it can be confusing choosing the right one for your skin type.
We have a few handy tips on how to maximise your use of face oils below:
- New starters. If you are new to using face oils, start using them by applying in the evenings only and getting a feel for how your skin responds. Once you feel comfortable with the products you can start to play around with using them in the morning, mixed into your foundation or even during the day as a sprightly pick me up.
- Order matters. If you are wanting to get the most out of your face oil, use it before your moisturiser/cream. This ensures that the therapeutic extracts in the oils (vitamins, antioxidants and omegas) penetrate deeply into the skin. As a general rule, it is best to apply all water-based serums before your oils, follow with your face oil and then your moisturiser which acts to lock in and seal moisture.
- Multi-task. Face oils are the most incredible multi-taskers. They are not only fabulous at nourishing dry areas such as the face, cuticles, under the eyes, lips and even the hands, they can also be used mixed in with your favourite makeup to smooth application and can even be used to remove heavy makeup and eye-makeup.
- Sensitive skin. If your skin is prone to sensitivity look for omega rich oils which are anti-inflammatory and which help to combat skin redness. Our & Exotic Seed of Youth Oil contains Omega-3 rich Sacha Inchi Seed oil which contains over 40% Omega-3 fatty acids making it one of the richest plant-based sources of Omega 3 (compare this to avocado which has only 1-2% and coconut oil which has 10%). This makes it most helpful for skin conditions such as acne, psoriasis and eczema. A bonus is that it is loaded with seeds are loaded with protein which helps to restore your skin’s natural barrier, increasing skin protection and reducing skin hypersensitivity.
- Dry and dull skin. If you are suffering from extremely dehydrated, flaky and lack lustre skin, look for an intensive face oil which contains rich oils that nourish the surface of the skin to lock in moisture along with oils which penetrate deeply into the skin. Our & Snowflower Illuminating Face Oil contains a blend of highly absorbent oils such as Jojoba along with richer oils high in oleic acid including Camellia Seed Oil which is derived from the antioxidant rich seeds of the tea plant. It is also rich in vitamin C rich Kakadu Plum Seed which assists in brightening dull skin. Do not forget to lock in the moisture from your oil with a lotion or cream. Our & Coco Bliss Intensive Repair is an effective protective and nourishing cream abundant in nourishing oils along with Vitamin E.
- Acne prone skin. If you are suffering from breakout and acne prone skin, it is a great idea to use oils which have a non or low-comedogenic rating. This means they penetrate deeply into the skin and do not clog the surface layer of the skin which is what leads to acne and breakouts. These oils tend to be lighter in texture and include Squalane, Sea Buckthorn oil and Sacha Inchi Seed oil which are all found in our & Exotic Seed of Youth Oil .
- Ageing skin. If you are starting to experience fine lines and a loss of firmness and hydration, a nourishing oil may be just what is needed to restore firmness and protect the skin from water loss and free radical damage. Marula oil found in our & Exotic Seed of Youth Oil has been shown to prevent transepidermal water loss without leaving an oily residue. The Vitamin E, phytosterols, amino acids, and the powerful antioxidants found in marula oil create a potent anti-aging elixir which to boost collagen production and fights free radicals. Marula also has a high Vitamin C content and with continuous use has been shown to significantly improve skin elasticity and even reduce the appearance of fine lines. What is wonderful about the oil is that it is rich in Omega 9s. In general, the higher the Omega 9 fatty acid content in an oil, the easier it penetrates the skin and the more rapidly it is absorbed.
- Direct application of essential oils. Take care not to apply pure essential oils directly onto the skin without diluting them. Some skin types do not bode well with essential oils and they been shown to increase skin sensitivity and cause breakouts. Instead, dilute them using a carrier oil or choose a blend of oils with a very low percentage of essential oils (i.e. one or two ingredients at the end of the ingredient list).
We love infusing our face oils with a hint of natural fragrance, to create a sensory and luxurious experience when applying them. Our & Snowflower Illuminating Face Oil contains Blue Lotus Extract whilst our & Exotic Seed of Youth Oil contains a hint of rose geranium.
If you are continuing to have trouble determining whether our & Snowflower Illuminating Face Oil or & Exotic Seed of Youth oil is best for your skin, see our chart below!