Cabin air, restricted food choices and lack of sleep can really play havoc with glowing skin when travelling. But stepping off a plane with hydrated, glowing skin, ready to turn heads in a new city is easy providing you address a few “inside and out” essential travel steps. We share our tips below!
Inside Out Hydration
At 30,000 feet the air in a plane is cold and cannot hold much miosture. The humidity level in the cabins of most commercial airlines is just 10 percent to 20 percent (some are even as low as 1 percent), compare this to the Sahara Desert which is at 25 percent humidity. This means you really need to be doing something to ensure your skin is keeping hydrated and is not shrivelling up after a long haul flight.
Topical Hydration: We have packed three of our essential hydrating products in an Ultra Hydration Kit designed to keep the skin ultra dewy, protected and nourished. It is as easy as following these three steps:
- Use the right cleanser. Cleaning the skin is important on a flight, it ensures that bacteria which is often lurking about in cabins is being removed from the skin surface. Using a cream based and non-foaming cleanser which does not strip your skin of its natural oils yet which still cleanses and unclogs pores is the ideal cleanser. Our No Belle Frais Cleansing Milk provides deep cleansing action without leaving the skin dry. It is enriched with natural fruit acids to refine pores and brighten the skin.
- Add oil. Using an oil to surge moisture deep into the skin ensures skin is keeping firm, plump and ultra-nourished. Using an oil which provides anti-oxidant support to combat free radical damage and address pollutants is key. Our & Snowflower Illuminating Face Oil combines antioxidant rich native extracts including Kakadu Plum Seed and Snowflower Seed to infuse the skin with concentrated vitamin C and E which repairs, protects and brightens the skin.
- Lock in moisture. Follow your oil with a nourishing cream which functions to lock in moisture levels. Using just an oil is not sufficient when traveling -creams are designed to seal hydration, preventing transepidermal water loss from the skin barrier. Our Coco Bliss Intensive Repair is enriched with Omega and antioxidant rich oils including Camellia Seed, Vitamin E and Cacao butter.
Internal Hydration: Hydrating on the inside is just as important as topical hydration. Drinking plenty of water, restricting alcohol, caffeine and reducing sodium intake is important not only during but also at least 24-48 hours before and after a flight. A few of our essential internal hydration tips include:
- Avoid high sodium plane snacks and foods. Foods which you may not realise are sodium-rich include bread, tomato based sauces, processed meats and crackers. Choose low-sodium meal option on planes or you can even pack your own veggies, protein bars or nuts and seeds to ensure that you are not tempted to munch on pretzels, peanuts or a salty meal.
- Pack a glass bottle. Pack an empty glass bottle along with your hand luggage and fill this up a few times during your flight. It provides a good excuse to get up out of your seat to fill the bottle. Aim for at least 1 litre of water for every 3-4 hours of flying. This means about 3 litres of water on a 12 hour flight. Avoid black tea, coffee and opt for herbal tea or plain water.
- Add an antioxidant powder. Dosing up on a vitamin C provide the dual action of maintain your immune system and ensuring your skin is being given an antioxidant boost. Our Native Collagen Powder is rich in native Australian extracts including hibiscus, Kakadu plum and Quandong extract with 1 teaspoon providing 4 times your recommended dose of vitamin C.
Sheet masks really are a jet setter’s best friend. Not only are they super light and easy to carry, they are very effective at hydrating the skin and providing beauty salon results on the go. The reason they work so well is that they provide an occlusive barrier so that the extracts found in the mask serum deeply penetrate the skin. Just use them on clean skin so they work more efficiently and refrain from using them if sitting next to beauty novices on airplanes – they can look a bit scary! Our Bloom of Youth Infusion Mask contains hydrating hyaluronic acid along with Bilberry and Lime Caviar to protect and brighten the skin. Silica naturally found in the Bamboo extract which also features in the mask ensure that your skin is kept strong and firm.
There are a few supplements which make traveling a more pleasant experience. A few of essentials include:
A Traveller’s Probiotic There is so much research now showing that the gut and skin axis are intricately linked. So when travelling, to ensure my skin and belly are happy I always travel with a probiotic which contains the Saccharomyces Boulardii strain. This helps with the challenge of maintaining good bacteria in the gut when eating and drinking foods abroad. It also works wonders for travel bloat.
Sleep Aid. Melatonin or a supplement containing calming herbs such as chamomile, Zizyphus and lavender ensure you are getting shut eye both on the plane and when you step off. If you are using melatonin, do not use this for more than 3-4 days after your flight as this supplement can play havoc with your natural mood and circadian cycles.
B Vitamins. B vitamins are essential when it comes to reducing inflammation, maintaining your methylation /detoxification cycle and improving carbohydrate metabolism. Choose one with healthy doses of all the B vitamins and activated Bs if possible.
There are a few treasured beauty boosters which multi-task and are truly worthy of inclusion when it comes to deciding on what to include in your hand luggage.
Having a multi-purpose balm in your bag at any time can solve a few problems in one go. Balms which are rich in nourishing oils can be the antidote to everything from dry lips, unsightly cuticles and dry hands and nails. You can use our vitamin E and nourishing Goddess on the Go Balm on your hands, lips and even under the eyes to nourish and brighten.
Toner mists have come quite far from the traditional astringent alcohol based toner. Using a mist which hydrates, provides antioxidant support and refines pores ticks all boxes when it comes to a good mist! Our No.2 Citrus Rhapsody Toner Mist functions not only as a refreshing and uplifting citrus spritz, it also provides calming, anti-microbial and vitamin C rich botanical action via beautiful botanicals such as Calendula, Fig, Guava and May Chang.
Lavender, Peppermint and Eucalyptus Essential Oils are three of our favourites. Lavender is a great all rounder and excellent addition to your travel kit. It can help to improve sleep and helps calm over-excited kids. Pop in a few drops onto your pillow or a tissue tucked under your pillow to breathe the calming aroma as you sleep. Peppermint is an uplifting oil which helps to energise but also helps to clear congestion and soothe digestive upset. Pop a few drops into a bowl of water along with Eucalyptus oil to soothe and relieve congestion. Mix a few drops of Eucalyptus Oil into a carrier oil such as almond oil and carry a small bottle with you when travelling if you suffer from poor circulation. It helps to boost circulation by dilating blood vessels.
When You Step Off
What you do when you step off a plane can be just as important as the actions you take during the flight. Continuing with your hydration, healthy eating and skin treatments are essential to maintaining a luminous glow.
Walk It Off Going for a run or walk can re-oxygenate the body and get the blood pumping back to your extremities once again. Whilst it is hard to do this when you are feeling jet lagged and tired it is really the best thing to do.
Bath Time. One of the quickest ways to reverse the stagnant feeling which comes from many hours in a plane is having a restorative bath. We recommend always popping some travel size bath salts into your suitcase. They contain natural Epsom salts which provide a great dose of magnesium to nourish the nervous system, restore adrenals and improve sleep and circulation.
Whilst travelling has the potential to deplete your skin and leave you feeling worse for wear, armed with an arsenal of skin-restoring products in your carry on and with a few handy inside beauty tips up your sleeve you will arrive at your destination with a holiday glow ready to go!